Sunday 9 March 2014

Glitz, Glamour & Posing

Three weeks out from the competition and I’m excited. Partly because of my dedication and hard-work slowly coming into fruition and partly because I know I’m 3 weeks away from tasting Gelati and chocolate again! =)


Been training hard, further refining the nutritional aspects (completely cutting out starchy carbs) and now in the full swing of posing practice.

Luckily I work with a group of lovely, understanding women. They have put up with weird food smells, flexible start and finish times to accommodate the training and one spare desk is like a mini-apothecary of all my supplements. Working in a university, heaven forbid if an unsuspecting staff member or lost student walked in and saw my “6inch stripper heels” and large Ikea mirror near the copier; would surely raise some eyebrows and possible policy breaches somewhere. Over the last fortnight I have made a conscious effort to practice ‘posing’ for 10 minutes during my lunch breaks, as I just don’t have the time or energy in the evenings. When no one is around, I transform into my stage persona, wearing small shorts, 6 inch heel s and stuffing my top under my bra. It may look really easy but I tell you, models make strutting look effortless. Being comfortable, steady and flowing ‘naturally’ in the massive heels is the first real challenge. I have completely flat-feet with no arches and seldom wear heels (only for special occasions actually), which makes this evermore tricky.

I attended the posing classes organised through ANB and the wonderful Vicki Arief. Vicki has had a long career spanning from ballet dancing, competing, judging and is an absolute gun! Within a few short moments, she can look at you and suggest how to accentuate your best features and create the illusion to hide your weakest.  I found it’s best to have someone take a few photos or a video of your walks and poses (before and after correction). It’s the best way to learn. I practiced bellydancing many years ago and have always loved it for its fluid, sensual rhythms and it teaches you about isolating muscle groups, particularly in women’s trouble-spot areas. I’m trying to incorporate a little bit of this in my one of my poses, as it represents who I am and what I love.

Image sourced from: www.pinterest.com/nikgml/dance-of-ages/

My bright blue bikini just arrived from America. It’s a gorgeous sparkly blue with some bling around the neck and crystals on the bikini connector. I’d love to post a photo of it but will keep it under wraps. I had a long evening dress custom made overseas. When I tried it on a few days ago, it was a little loose. It’s always hard when you purchase garments overseas, especially when your body changes shape so quickly. The cost of having it altered here is practically 2/3 of what I paid for it, ah well. Nevertheless, it’s a glamorous and elegant dress in a peach/burnt orange colour; backless with bling straps across the shoulders. It has a small train (perhaps not the brightest idea now considering I need to do a full 360 turn…hmmmm….).  

Make up appointment and trial is booked, hair stylist locked it and spray tan all organised! My sparkly jewellery has arrived (1 cuff bracelet and 1 pretend looking engagement ring with a massive shiny rock, haha Leonardo, are you reading this?). 

All the jigsaw pieces are starting to fall into place.



Take away thought for the week: 

“I have walked that long road to freedom. I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can only rest for a moment, for with freedom come responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not ended.” Nelson Mandela


Like my page:

No comments:

Post a Comment